Health Care and Diet

Setting Up a Diet Plan and In Home Health Care That Medicare Will Cover

Keeping people in their own homes as they age or deal with the after-effects of a serious illness or injury is increasingly becoming more popular. However, the cost of in home health care can be prohibitive and it is important to ensure that Medicare will cover the majority of the cost. Once a Medicare recipient has been found eligible for at-home care, here is what Medicare will cover.

1. Skilled nursing care and in home health care are provided for a limited amount of time each month. Care can be provided on any of the seven days during the week but will not be covered for more than eight hours in each day. The total amount of care covered each week by Medicare may not exceed 28 hours.

2. Skilled nursing care includes the services of a licensed practical nurse who comes to the home to give injections (or teach patients how to self-inject), do patient observations and assessments, manage the patient care, do tube feedings, or change a catheter. The agency sending the nurse must insure that all credentials are up-to-date and that the managed care plan is on file. Medicare will cover these expenses in full.

3. In home health care may include the services of a home health care aide that includes help with household needs and personal care such as hair or bathing. Medicare will cover these services when the patient also requires skilled nursing care. If this is the only type of care that a patient needs, then Medicare will not cover the cost.

4. Medicare will cover the cost of a licensed physical, speech, or occupational therapy if the therapy has been found medically necessary to either maintain a condition or to improve that condition. Speech therapists work to restore or improve speech after a stroke incident for many seniors while physical therapists may work to improve muscle strength or help to restore a proper gait. Occupational therapists work with their charges to help them regain or develop their patients abilities to do normal daily activities that help maintain independence,.

5. In many cases, illnesses can become extremely difficult to deal with emotionally and medical social services may be required. These services range from finding resources within the community to help with your disease as well as counseling services to cope with the changes within life as a result of the covered injury or illness. The case manager should be able to recommend some services to get families started with the proper emotional care before the situation gets worse. Transportation to and from these services may be arranged by an in home health care team.

6. Medicare usually pays in full for the majority of medical supplies used during in-home visits. Typically, wound dressings and other bandages are 100% covered expenses. As catheters and other medically necessary supplies are replaced, the cost of them is fully covered by Medicare. The in home health care management team will bring them to the home on an as-needed basis so the patient will never have to worry about reimbursement.

7. Medical equipment is partially covered when it is deemed medically necessary and ordered by a physician as part of the treatment plan. Medicare covers 80% of the total cost of the approved equipment with the insured paying the remaining 20% co-pay. The most commonly ordered pieces of equipment under Medicare are wheelchairs and walkers. Since this equipment can be very expensive, it is best to get approved before purchasing.

8. When patients suffer from dementia or Alzheimer’s, in home health care can lengthen the amount of time the patients can stay in a familiar home environment. In some cases, the ability for family caretakers to have respite care can make all the difference in the world. The type of care that Medicare will cover for these diseases may be different that it is for other physical problems. Once a diagnosis has been made, family members are encouraged to work closely with a reputable in home health care agency to put together a solid care plan.

In home health care and diet plans that work is essential to keep people at home. Working together, families and health care organizations can find a plan that works.

Related Articles : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_Detox_Diet

Categories: Healty Lifestyle | Comments Off